Health & Wellness
Canton Leisure Services Health and Wellness program offers a well-rounded approach to healthy living, offering fitness classes, personal training services, and nutrition services.
Explore our activity classes, educational classes, and special events, and enjoy the benefits of taking an interest in your health! Following a regular fitness program gives you a sense of commitment and control - two positive mental attitudes that help counteract stress.
- Group Fitness Classes
- Registered Fitness Classes
- Registered Wellness Classes
- Outdoor Fitness
- Special Events
- Personal Training Services
Group Fitness Classes
The Summit on the Park offers over 50 fitness classes each week to Summit members and drop-in guests. These classes which vary from low-impact aerobics and yoga, to intense step and kettlebell classes are all included in the membership or daily visit fee. Group fitness is a great opportunity to try out a variety of classes and add variety to your fitness program.
Land Fitness Classes
Participants are encouraged to wear appropriate workout attire and bring a water bottle to each class. Equipment is provided for each class. For classes that involve floor work, mats will be provided or you may bring your own. The Land Fitness Schedule will indicate which room the class is taking place in.
Aquatic Fitness Classes
Aqua fitness is excellent for individuals seeking a total body workout, without as much impact on their knees. Classes range from low impact to high intensity. Participants should wear swim attire and bring a water bottle to each class; aqua shoes are also recommended to improve traction on the bottom of the pool. Equipment is provided for each class.
Email Leisure Services Administration to request a Land or Aquatic Fitness Class schedule to be mailed to you.
- New class participants are encouraged to speak with instructors prior to the start of class to get format tips and modifications on various moves.
- Schedules are subject to change based on facility need, instructor availability, and participation levels.
- Classes must maintain an average of 8 participants for the class to remain on upcoming schedules.
- Inclement Weather Policy: If Plymouth-Canton Community Schools cancel class due to inclement weather, then all classes taking place at the Summit on the Park will be cancelled prior to 4 p.m. For evening classes, a decision will be made by 2 p.m. Schedule changes will be posted on the Summit on the Park page and throughout the facility.
Registered Fitness and Wellness Classes
The Summit on the Park offers a variety of registered classes that allow for smaller class size, progressive class format, and specialized routines. Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced levels are indicated in the descriptions for each class. These classes are open to the public for registration and membership to the Summit on the Park is not required; however, members do receive a registration discount. All classes are listed in the Discover Brochure.
Types of Registered Classes
- Runner's Meet Up (Beginner, Intermediate)
- Zumba Step (All levels)
- Melt (All levels)
- Teen Cycle (Ages 14 to 17)
Strength & Toning
- Barre (All levels)
- Lifting Ladies (Women only, all levels)
- TRX Fit (All levels)
- Zumba Strong (Intermediate)
- Gentle Yoga (Beginner, Senior)
- Beginner Yoga (Beginner)
- Intermediate Yoga (Intermediate)
- Prenatal Yoga (All levels)
- Cardio Cycle and Strength (Beginner, Intermediate)
- Runner's Meet Up (Beginner, Intermediate)
- Liberty Run 5K (All levels): 3rd Saturday in June during Liberty Fest
- Prenatal/Postpartum Yoga (All levels)
Club 55+: Classes geared toward individuals ages 55+
- Fit 4 Life
- Tai Chi
- Tai Chi Intermediate
- Zumba Gold with Toning
Registered Wellness Classes
The Summit on the Park offers a variety of one-time and session based wellness classes designed to help improve health, reduce stress, and increase quality of life. Classes throughout the year may include:
- Better Nutrition Better Health
- Tai Chi: Multiple classes offered each season
- Wellness Coaching: Schedule determined by participant with the Wellness Coach
- Yoga: Multiple classes offered each season
Better Nutrition Better Health
Feel better in 6 weeks as you make healthy lifestyle changes! Learn easy techniques that will help you make better food choices, control cravings, and make healthier food portions. Learn what foods will help boost your energy as you put together your own meal plan.
Outdoor Fitness Opportunities
Passport to Parks
Take your fitness to the parks this summer with the Passport to Parks program! Join us in various parks in Canton for free fitness classes ranging from Yoga to Bootcamp and free children's activities. We will meet the 2nd and 4th Saturday at 10:30am May-September. Get your passport stamped and be entered for a chance to win a 3 month Summit on the Park Family Membership, each visit earns you a stamp and entry into the drawing. *Yoga Classes: bring a towel or yoga mat if you wish*
Dates , Locations, and Classes
- May 11: Heritage Park North Pavilion – Bootcamp (Lu)
- May 25: Flodin Park – Strength & Stretch (Dede)
- June 8: Independence Park – Body weight Bootcamp (Dana)
- June 22: Cherry Hill School – Family Circuit Training (Chris)
- July 13: Griffin Park – Walking Yoga (Joe)
- July 27: Freedom Park – Family Yoga (Peggy)
- August 10: Barchester Park – Kickboxing (Deb)
- August 24: Independence Park – Bootcamp (Lu)
- September 14: Freedom Park – Walking Fitness (Diana)
- September 28: Heritage Park Amphitheater – Family Zumba (Crystal)
*Classes are weather permitting - for up to date information on any cancellations, download the Summit on the Park App and allow notifications*
Just Get Outdoors & Go... Walking!
Looking for a way to incorporate exercise into your busy schedule? Why not check out one of these scenic and motivational walking paths and jogging areas in Canton. Find an accessible walking path in your neighborhood and get outdoors. Walking is an easy, inexpensive way to help lower your risk of heart disease and stroke, reduce the effects of stress, and lose weight.
Liberty Fest 5K, 10K, and 1 Mile
We will be starting off summer with a bang at this year's Liberty Fest 5K, 10K and 1 Mile walk/run events. The Liberty Fest event is for all ability levels and is great for families. All runners, walkers and strollers will start off in Heritage Park and wind their way through local neighborhoods and along the beautiful Lower Rouge Recreation Trail.
- Saturday before Father's Day
- Ages: All
- Canton Liberty Run
Personal Training Services
The Summit on the Park offers a variety of Personal Training Services to meet the needs of all individuals and groups. Certified Personal Trainers and Wellness Coaches are available throughout the day to provide tips on improving your overall health, strength, nutrition, and training programs. Services available include:
- Personal Training
- Group Personal Training
- Fitness Evaluation
- Weight Loss Consultation
- Sports Nutrition
- Wellness Coaching
For more information on the Personal Training Services available at the Summit on the Park, please visit the Personal Training Services page.
Discover Brochure: all Canton Leisure Services programs, classes, events and services are included in the bi-annual Discover program brochure. Offerings are available for all ages and interests.
Registration: program registration is available online and at the Summit on the Park front desk.
Participant Inclusion and Accommodations (PDF): Canton Leisure Services strives to ensure that all facilities and programs meet ADA requirements and are inclusive of all individuals regardless of ability. If you would like to request accommodations, please complete the Inclusion and Accommodation Form or call 734/394-5460.
Inclement Weather Policy: If Plymouth-Canton Community Schools cancel class due to inclement weather, then all classes taking place at the Summit on the Park will be cancelled prior to 4 p.m. For evening classes, a decision will be made by 2 p.m. Schedule changes will be posted on the Summit on the Park page and throughout the facility.